Becoming a Positive Person
There are a lot of things in the world that can make you think negatively. I’ve been thinking about how I try to remain optimistic about things. In light of recent events, and being persistently told that I don’t care enough, or something has to change about my attitude, I’ve been trying to be a more positive person in life, work, and everywhere in between. Here are my tips. Hopefully it’ll shed some light on the situation.
- Smile more. I’ve been more conscious of my smile. I am a lifelong sufferer of RBF, or Resting Bitch Face. It’s a thing where your normal face looks like you’re pissed off or sad or mad, but it’s none of the above. It’s “just your face,” as you tell people. A smile can be contagious, and even if you don’t wholeheartedly stand behind your smile, at least you made someone’s day. Smiling goes hand in hand with laughing. Find a way to smile or laugh at least once a day (even if it’s what I like to call a genuine fake smile). It’s that smile that you force but doesn’t look overly phony. Fact: It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown.
- Think about the big picture. A lot of people live in the now, but the trick is to think about the future. If you’re at the same place in 5 years, will you still be happy? That’s something to think about.
- Think about what motivates you. Start asking yourself Why? or What’s the point? before doing something. I eat because I like food. I run because I want to live to see my son graduate and get married. I work because my parents cut me off. If you think about something that motivates you, chances are you do something because it makes you happy or the result makes you happy, or the people involved make you happy.
- Think of 5 things you’re good at. It might sound corny, but it actually works for your self-esteem and confidence. If you can’t think of 5 things that you’re good at or people think you do a good job in, then strive to become good at something. The object is to think of things that you excel in, because chances are those things are things that you enjoy doing and do well. It may sound vain, but I feel good about myself when I know that I can do things well, and it makes me feel even better when I can share knowledge with others.
- Set realistic goals. This is when you think of 5 things you’re not good at. Like English (You don’t end a sentence with a preposition or start a new sentence with the word “Like,” but this is my blog so cry about it :P). These goals will help you become a happier person.
- Step out of your comfort zone. This is probably the most important step. You don’t have to change your personality completely but you DO have to change a little. If you’re shy, try to express yourself more. Take more risks. It’ll be worth it.
I hope these help. I’m not an expert but I do strive to become a happier person and not complain that much. I feel so much better about everything when I’m laughing and happy and I think everyone feels this way. Does anyone really feel at their best when they’re complaining all the time? Maybe Hitler did, who knows? Anyways I vow to become a more positive person and I suggest you guys do the same. We can all learn a lot from our good attitudes. Share the wealth!
Leave a comment!!